Q: How can Adult ADHD specialists equitably include the partner in implementing ADHD-informed strategies to improve cooperation, communication, and intimacy?
These two questions guided the effort behind Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy: Clinical Interventions, by Gina Pera and Arthur L. Robin (Routledge; 2016).
This is the first clinical guide that merges empirically based treatment principles for Adult ADHD with those of couple therapy.
Our online training springs largely from this book, but it expands to include supporting and related material.
For millions of couples in the U.S. alone—and millions more worldwide—the “ADHD piece” provides the cornerstone to understanding and healing problems long viewed as intractable.
Initial plans include two training levels for clinicians: Level 1 and Level 2.
Level 1: Book-Study Test
This course consists of a 20-question Book-Study Test based on reading the book; questions are multiple-choice.
Successful completion earns the clinician:
- 15 continuing education hours (NBCC).
- A badge of Level 1 training completion in the optional Professional Directory profile (discounted fee for the first year).
Level 1 training is available NOW. This is an online test based on reading the book. Click to REGISTER
Level 2: Online Training, Anticipated October 2018
Soon, clinicians can access comprehensive training at this website. Available any time, from anywhere in the world.
Be sure to add your name to the mailing list, so you will be notified the minute it is up!
Meanwhile, for a sneak preview of what’s in store, keep reading!
Manageable Modules, Always Available—and Bonus Material
The book itself provides a solid foundation for understanding
- Adult ADHD,
- Its impact on relationships and other spheres of life, and
- The clinically proven strategies to help these couples.
The online training will provide a deeper and broader level of understanding, all at the user’s pace and with opportunity for interaction with the presenters and other clinicians.
The format will consist of narrated video presentations, organized by book chapter, each segment 15-30 minutes, augmented with:
- Regular Q&A opportunities with the authors
- Short videos carefully curated from outside sources (e.g. animations of neurotransmitter function that assist with the psychoeducation process)
- Select excerpts of video lectures by experts whose work is cited in the book, with links to the full video (e.g. Russell Barkley, PhD, on Executive Functioning, and Xavier Amador, PhD, on resistance to diagnosis, or “denial”)
- Original podcasts on key concepts by the authors and Q&A chats with experts
- Downloadable excerpts from the perennially popular book Is It You, Me, or Adult A.D.D.?, for introducing key concepts to couple clients.
- Worksheets for clients
Conveniently organized by topic and sub-topic—for quick scanning and reviewing key concepts as they become particularly relevant with each client
For example, the book’s chapter on psychoeducation consists of 12 steps. The online module corresponding to this chapter is organized into 12 units, each 10-15 minutes long, which expand upon the book’s guidance.
These short modules make for a quick “refresher course” and easy access to a given topic.
Moreover, you need not scan an hour-long (or longer) video just to find the section you need right then. Suppose that, despite a careful psychoeducational process, your new clients might remain stuck in various aspects of resistance to the diagnosis. Simply re-visit Step 9: Implementing Methods for Dealing with Resistance and “Denial.”
If you have an Internet connection and can access our site, the courses are always at your fingertips. (Note: Some countries restrict Internet access so please check that before enrolling.)
We will solicit user feedback with an eye toward continually improving the content and delivery.
Guidance you can rely on
With a combined 55 years experience, Arthur Robin, PhD, and Gina Pera are respected experts in the field of Adult ADHD, particularly the myriad ways it can affect relationships. You can learn more about our backgrounds at About the Presenters.