Level 1 Training: This home-study book test (20 multiple-choice questions) is based on reading Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy: Clinical Interventions.
Level 2 Training, in-depth instruction online, is in development. Estimated delivery: October 2018
Register here to take the test now.
Licensed clinicians successfully completing the test receive:
- A certificate of completion
- 15 Continuing Education hours (NBCC)
- An indication of this course completion prominently displayed in your Professional Directory listing
- A discounted directory-listing fee for the first year
Our goal is to help individuals and couples find clinicians internationally who are familiar with the principles of ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy.
This page explains how the test is conducted and the benefits available to clinicians successfully completing the test.
The book provides the clinician with a nuts-and-bolts approach to helping ADHD-challenged couples enhance their relationship and improve domestic cooperation. It is "step-by-step" but not cookie-cutter.
We worked hard to make the book concise, engaging, and highly readable. It is 250 tightly edited pages.
This concise, comprehensive guide includes:
- A flexible model based on a merging of the evidence for effective couple therapy and for Adult ADHD individual therapy
- Medication guidelines
- Cognitive interventions
- Co-parenting techniques
- Habit change and communication strategies
- ADHD-specific clinical suggestions around sexuality, money, and cyber-addictions.
More than twenty detailed case studies provide real-life examples of ways to implement the interventions.
Test Development And Approval for Continuing Education Hours
The test was jointly developed by book co-editors Gina Pera and Arthur L. Robin, PhD.
After submitting the test and our credentials to the National Board for Certified Counselors, we were granted status as an NBCC-approved continuing education (CE) provider.
Future online training will also be approved for NBCC hours.
There are 13 learning objectives.
After reading Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy: Clinical Interventions, the reader will be able to
- Identify the primary clinical tasks in helping ADHD-challenged couples
- Describe the purpose of the psychoeducational process for Adult ADHD-Focused couple therapy
- Discuss the contributing factors to the Dysfunctional Interaction Cycle for each partner and the interventions designed to move this cycle in a more positive direction
- Explain the role of the CBT Model adapted for ADHD in helping these couples
- Describe the therapist’s potential role in guiding pharmacotherapy
- Name some common difficulties around sexual intimacy experienced by ADHD-challenged couples
- Explain the relevance of Executive Functioning models to understanding ADHD
- Describe why adults might be vulnerable to using electronic technology to excess, the impact this behavior can have on the relationship, and the type of clinical approach that can help couples address this overuse
- Counter the statement that “ADHD symptoms are simply human behaviors”
- Recognize the components of behavior-change within Adult ADHD-Focused couple therapy
- Describe how couples can learn to work as a team in co-parenting and compensate for the challenges of the partner with ADHD
- Recognize how the poor self-regulation inherent in ADHD impairs money management and help the couple work around these difficulties
- Describe how to use Imago Relationship Therapy to improve the couple’s communication
Test Guidelines and Certificate
This test consists of 20 multiple-choice questions.
You can review all of your answers before submitting them.
A passing grade is 80% or higher (16 or more of the 20 questions).
Once you submit your answers, your grade appears on your screen within seconds.
You are automatically allowed to re-take the test once if you do not pass the first time.
Successful completion earns 15 Continuing Education (CE) hours (NBCC).
Participants who do not receive a passing grade are invited to re-take the test in three months, at a discounted rate.
A certificate accompanies a passing grade. It is available as an immediate PDF download.
Professional Directory Listing
Our goal is helping ADHD-savvy clinicians and consumers to find each other.
Participants who successfully complete this home-study course are invited to purchase a discounted listing in ADHD Success Training's professional directory.
Successful completion of Level 1 or Level 2 courses is prominently displayed in the directory listing. This provides potential clients with a degree of assurance that the clinician has a proven degree of familiarity with Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy ™ principles.
Fee and Refund Policy:
The fee for this home-study test and certificate is $75.
The fee is non-refundable. Please make sure you understand the parameters before purchasing.
We have also tested the site on many different browsers and platforms, but we cannot guarantee that it will work on all mobile devices. Therefore, please complete the test on a desktop or laptop computer.
Participants who do not pass the test after two attempts are encouraged to re-take the test after three months. An offer to re-take the test (for the third time) at 25% off the course fee will be automatically offered.
Please direct questions to Gina Pera, using the "contact" form on the home page.
Register here to take the Home Study Course Test Now!
Gina Pera and Arthur L. Robin, PhD, have been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6770. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Gina Pera and Arthur L. Robin, PhD, are solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.