This home-study course is based on reading Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy: Clinical Interventions.
Note: This Is A Book-Study Course.
Online instruction is in development. In the meantime, there is an online test.
Register here to take the test.
Licensed clinicians successfully completing the test provides receive:
- A certificate of completion
- 15 CE hours (NBCC).
- An invitation to be listed in the ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy Professional Directory (fee required).
Our goal is to help individuals and couples find clinicians internationally who are familiar with the principles of ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy. Please see more about the Professional Directory (coming soon).
The Book is Co-Edited By—And This Course Created By:
- Gina Pera, author, workshop leader, and international speaker on Adult ADHD, especially as it affects relationships
- Arthur L. Robin, PhD, an expert in ADHD throughout the lifespan, the director of psychology training at Children’s Hospital of Michigan, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral neuroscience at Wayne State University, and a licensed psychologist in private practice in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.
- Contributors to the book include J. Russell Ramsay, PhD, Barbara Easterlin, PhD, Carol Robbins, PhD, and Kevin Roberts, MA.
This concise, comprehensive guide includes
- Medication guidelines
- Cognitive interventions
- Co-parenting techniques
- Habit change and communication strategies
- ADHD-specific clinical suggestions around sexuality, money, and cyber-addictions.
More than twenty detailed case studies provide real-life examples of ways to implement the interventions.
There are 13 learning objectives.
After reading Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy: Clinical Interventions, the reader will be able to
- Identify the primary clinical tasks in helping ADHD-challenged couples
- Describe the purpose of the psychoeducational process for Adult ADHD-Focused couple therapy
- Discuss the contributing factors to the Dysfunctional Interaction Cycle for each partner and the interventions designed to move this cycle in a more positive direction
- Explain the role of the CBT Model adapted for ADHD in helping these couples
- Describe the therapist’s potential role in guiding pharmacotherapy
- Name some common difficulties around sexual intimacy experienced by ADHD-challenged couples
- Explain the relevance of Executive Functioning models to understanding ADHD
- Describe why adults might be vulnerable to using electronic technology to excess, the impact this behavior can have on the relationship, and the type of clinical approach that can help couples address this overuse
- Counter the statement that “ADHD symptoms are simply human behaviors”
- Recognize the components of behavior-change within Adult ADHD-Focused couple therapy
- Describe how couples can learn to work as a team in co-parenting and compensate for the challenges of the partner with ADHD
- Recognize how the poor self-regulation inherent in ADHD impairs money management and help the couple work around these difficulties
- Describe how to use Imago Relationship Therapy to improve the couple’s communication
This test consists of 20 multiple-choice questions.
You will be given a chance to review all your answers before submitting them.
- A passing grade is 80% or higher (16 or more of the 20 questions).
- Once you submit your answers, your grade appears on your screen within seconds.
- You are automatically allowed to re-take the test once if you do not pass the first time.
- A certificate accompanies a passing grade. It is available as an immediate PDF download.
Professional Directory Listing:
Participants who pass this home-study course are invited to consider purchasing a listing in ADHD Success Training's professional directory. Our goal is helping clinicians and consumers to find each other.
Fee and Refund Policy:
The fee for this home-study test and certificate is $75.
The fee is non-refundable. Please make sure you understand the parameters before purchasing. We have also tested the site on many different browsers and platforms, but we cannot guarantee that it will work on all mobile devices. Therefore, please complete the test at a desktop or laptop computer.
Participants who do not pass the test after two attempts are encouraged to re-take the test after re-reading the book. An offer to re-take the test (for the third time) at 25% will be automatically offered if a passing grade does not result from the first two attempts.
Complaints, concerns, and other queries should be directed to Gina Pera, using the "contact" form on the home page.
Register here to take the Home Study Course Test
Gina Pera and Arthur L. Robin, PhD, have been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6770. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Gina Pera and Arthur L. Robin, PhD, are solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.