That's simple: to help clinicians and consumers find each other and begin rebuilding lives.
Consumers Are Frustrated
For almost 20 years and almost every single day, I (Gina) have personally witnessed this frustration—and outright desperation. Literally thousands of times.
My support-group members and fans of my first book send a steady drumbeat of requests, "Can you refer me to a therapist in [X town or state] who understands adult ADHD, particularly its effect on relationships?"
Too often, I felt helpless, with no recommendations to offer. I hoped that producing a clinical guide (Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy: Clinical Interventions) would help solve the problem by guiding more clinical expertise in helping these individuals and couples. But how to help clients find these clinicians?
These clients are primed to get to work. They have finally hit upon the explanation of ADHD—typically after years of struggle, misdiagnoses, and wrong turns. To find a couple therapist with ADHD knowledge, they sometimes turn to commercial online directories. As consumers soon learn, however, not every clinician who claims ADHD expertise actually possesses it.
Motivation, resources, and optimism run out. Precious opportunities for change, squandered. The downward spiral continues.
These consumers include:
- The adults with ADHD themselves, typically late-diagnosis and therefore lugging around a lifetime of struggles and poor coping responses
- The partners of these typically late-diagnosis adults, with their own struggles that deserve targeted attention
- Adult ADHD-challenged couples
- Even the parents, siblings, and children of these late-diagnosis adults
Clinicians Are Frustrated, Too
The public harbors much misinformation about ADHD. Will the clinician alienate the client by even suggesting an evaluation for ADHD?
How can these clinicians also attract potential clients who already embrace the diagnosis and are eager for evidence-based guidance?
Enter ADHD Success Training's Professional Directory. We designed it to provide a valuable resource for both consumers and the professionals qualified to guide them. Internationally.
What Is Special About This Directory?
Here are a few distinctions:
- This directory is solely for professionals specializing in ADHD—in children, teens, adults, and the elderly.
- Professionals are encouraged to include specific information about their approach to treating ADHD, including the models, books, and experts they rely upon to inform their practice.
- Professionals can provide an extra degree of assurance that they are familiar with Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy principles. Each listing indicates if the professional has completed Level 1 and/or Level 2 of ADHD Success Training courses.
Currently, the Level 1 training is available. Click here to REGISTER NOW.
This 20-question multiple-choice test is based on reading Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy: Clinical Interventions (Routledge, 2016). 15 CE hours are offered (NBCC ACEP).
Level 2 online training will offer a deeper level of training in Adult ADHD-Focused Couple Therapy principles. Estimated availability: October 2018. (There will be a version for consumers as well.)
Please join our mailing list to be notified when the Professional Directory is ready to launch.
Thank you for your interest in ADHD Success Training. We hope you will join us in revolutionizing the practice of Adult ADHD individual therapy and couple therapy!